[lldb-dev] unable to build lldb on linux

Todd Fiala tfiala at google.com
Sat Apr 5 18:13:21 PDT 2014

Ok cool.  That's our standard OS over here.

I'd recommend:

1. building a gcc 4.8.2 from source.  A standard download, unpack, mkdir on
a parallel build dir, configure --prefix=/some/install/path, etc. to give
you a gcc 4.8.2 on Ubuntu 12.04.  Let me know if you have trouble with
that.  The key here is that you'll get a functional libstdc++ that will
work for the later steps in addition to sufficient c++11 support.  You'll
need to add the install lib64 path to your LD_LIBRARY_PATH and similarly
for linker -L options on the linker command line.

2. build the latest cmake release from source and install somewhere local.
 The latest available for Ubuntu 12.04 I think gave me errors since it was
too old.

3. grab a configure buildable libedit (we get it from
here<http://thrysoee.dk/editline/>).
 You might be able to survive with libedit-dev from Ubuntu 12.04 now, but
for a while that was not sufficient.  If you build it, you'll need to add
the lib64 path to your LD_LIBRARY_PATH, and a -L for the lib path and -I
for the header path.

4. Not sure exactly where you got your ninja, build I found on Ubuntu <
13.10 I have to install it from source.  You may have a valid route too,
that's just been my experience.

FWIW - In the last couple hours I've tried once again to build the lldb
tree on Ubuntu 12.04 with a top of tree clang that I build with gcc 4.8.2.
 I had trouble getting the top of tree clang to be happy working with my
gcc 4.8.2 libstdc++.  I could get it past the cmake step but clang++
doesn't seem to like my libstdc++ 4.8.2 headers.  I've had no luck with
getting libc++ built on this setup but I may try again.  I was attempting
to get a clang setup to try to replicate your scenario.  If I get that
working and can replicate the issue you saw on clang, I'll get back on this
thread.

In the meantime, if you try the steps above and hit any trouble with using
gcc 4.8.2 on Ubuntu 12.04 x86_64, let me know and I can help out.  This is
our stock build environment so I'm sure we can work out any issues there.

Thanks!

-Todd

--
Todd Fiala | Software Engineer | tfiala at google.com | 650-943-3180