[lldb-dev] LLDB plugin dylib

Félix Cloutier felixcca at yahoo.ca
Thu Sep 26 16:37:10 PDT 2013

As a hobby, I'm writing a Mac OS 9 emulator/compatibility layer, and I'm implementing a debug stub because my homegrown debugger isn't that great. This means I need a disassembler for PPC code (though I could probably get away with the LLVM disassembler if I tried a bit harder), an ABI plugin, and now a symbol file plugin. I'm pretty much implementing the plugins when I figure out I need them, so I'm not sure how many more plugins I would have to implement to get a "good enough" set of features.

Félix

Le 2013-09-26 à 13:56:19, jingham at apple.com a écrit :

> There are two APS sets already in lldb.  There is the SB API's which are in the include/API directory.  Those are a C++ API that has been crafted to be binary stable (classes with no virtual methods and a fixed set of ivars.  That should serve for folks that want a stable API to use lldb as a client (e.g. to use it to write Xcode.)
>
> But there are some tasks in lldb (e.g. implementing a new Process plugin, or Disassembler plugin or whatever)) that is is not possible to do at present using the SB API's.  For those you have to use the lldb_private API's.  For now these tasks are considered part of the lldb project itself, and the fact that there is a plugin architecture to manage these is more an architectural division than a strategy for "third party" extensions.  If we get a strong demand to write this sort of plugin that can be maintained externally to the lldb-dev community, then we'll have to come up with a way to do so through the SB API's.
>
> What sort of thing are you trying to do?
>
> Jim
>

> On Sep 26, 2013, at 10:48 AM, Joe Ranieri <joe at alacatialabs.com> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Sep 26, 2013 at 1:05 PM, Greg Clayton <gclayton at apple.com> wrote:
>>> Currently they have to be built in because the internals of lldb (anything inside the "lldb_private" namespace) can change at anytime.
>>>
>>> In order to allow external plug-ins, we would need to make sure to make sure the API doesn't get violated. There are some important rules in place right now since we are vending a C++ API:
>>> 1 - No virtual functions in any public classes (lldb::SB*)
>>> 2 - No inheritance