[lldb-dev] TestRecursiveInferior.py

Jason Molenda jmolenda at apple.com
Wed Sep 25 15:08:48 PDT 2013

Yes, in this code segment

    if (!m_frames.empty())
    {
        if (m_frames.back()->start_pc == cursor_sp->start_pc)
        {
            if (m_frames.back()->cfa == cursor_sp->cfa)
                goto unwind_done; // Infinite loop where the current cursor is the same as the previous one...
            else if (abi && abi->StackUsesFrames())
            {
                // We might have a CFA that is not using the frame pointer and
                // we want to validate that the frame pointer is valid.
                if (reg_ctx_sp->GetFP() == 0)
                    goto unwind_done;
            }
        }
    }

I agree that the reg_ctx_sp->GetFP() == 0 check is incorrect.  This assumes that the code is using the fp register as a frame pointer (instead of as a gpr).  A canonical frame address (CFA) of 0 obviously means that a stack walk should stop, but the CFA is not necessarily set in terms of the fp register (e.g. in -fomit-frame-pointer style code).

This code should be removed.

I'm not sure the m_frames.back()->cfa == cursor_sp->cfa bit is doing anything either.  Over in RegisterContextLLDB::InitializeNonZerothFrame()

    // A couple of sanity checks..
    if (cfa_regval == LLDB_INVALID_ADDRESS || cfa_regval == 0 || cfa_regval == 1)
    {
        UnwindLogMsg ("could not find a valid cfa address");
        m_frame_type = eNotAValidFrame;
        return;
    }

    // If we have a bad stack setup, we can get the same CFA value multiple times -- or even
    // more devious, we can actually oscillate between two CFA values.  Detect that here and
    // break out to avoid a possible infinite loop in lldb trying to unwind the stack.
    addr_t next_frame_cfa;
    addr_t next_next_frame_cfa = LLDB_INVALID_ADDRESS;
    if (GetNextFrame().get() && GetNextFrame()->GetCFA(next_frame_cfa))
    {
        bool repeating_frames = false;
        if (next_frame_cfa == m_cfa)
        {
            repeating_frames = true;
        }
        else
        {
            if (GetNextFrame()->GetNextFrame() && GetNextFrame()->GetNextFrame()->GetCFA(next_next_frame_cfa)
                && next_next_frame_cfa == m_cfa)
            {
                repeating_frames = true;
            }
        }
        if (repeating_frames && abi->FunctionCallsChangeCFA())
        {
            UnwindLogMsg ("same CFA address as next frame, assuming the unwind is looping - stopping");