[lldb-dev] Using file-defined registers on Android

Abid, Hafiz Hafiz_Abid at mentor.com
Wed Nov 27 08:13:28 PST 2013

From: Todd Fiala [mailto:tfiala at google.com]
Sent: 27 November 2013 15:28
To: Abid, Hafiz
Cc: lldb-dev at cs.uiuc.edu
Subject: Re: [lldb-dev] Using file-defined registers on Android

Thanks, Abid!

On Wed, Nov 27, 2013 at 4:00 AM, Abid, Hafiz <Hafiz_Abid at mentor.com<mailto:Hafiz_Abid at mentor.com>> wrote:
Hi Todd,
You can try reading the registers using 'register read' command after connecting with the gdbserver. If LLDB shows the register then you will know that it has parsed the file ok. Otherwise the quickest way to find the problem will be to debug LLDB.  The python target definition is parsed in ProcessGDBRemote::ParsePythonTargetDefinition().

Excellent, thanks.  I'll step through that and see if there's some kind of logging there.

On x86_64 linux, I use the following command to connect to gdbserver.
(lldb) file ~/demos/act
Current executable set to '~/demos/act' (x86_64).
(lldb) settings set plugin.process.gdb-remote.target-definition-file /home/abidh/work/llvm/src/tools/lldb/examples/python/x86_64_linux_target_definition.py
(lldb) gdb-remote 10000

Great, thanks for passing along your steps.  This will help if I compare and contrast against what I'm doing on ARM when I debug it.

I also noted that you have retained the following line from x86_64 file. You may want to update it for ARM.
g_target_definition['breakpoint-pc-offset'] = -1

Thanks, I wasn't sure exactly which context needed this.

On many targets, breakpoints are implemented using a breakpoint or invalid instruction. The value of 'pc' you get after hitting the breakpoint is actually pointing to the instruction after the breakpoint. In this case, you subtract the size of breakpoint instruction from the pc to get the address where the breakpoint was actually placed.

Are the target and file commands needed with the architecture file?
The python target definition file is not a substitute for target or file command. I also wonder what happens when you don't supply arch in the 'target create' command. What arch LLDB finds out from the executable file?

I will see what it does when I don't specify the arch for the file.

* Is it the mere fact that I'm attaching remotely good enough for lldb to be using the architecture definition specified with "settings set plugin.process.gdb-remote.target-definition-file ...", or is it keying off of some of the meta data it has (like me specifying the "target create" and "file --arch" commands)?
If your target did not supply qRegisterInfo packet (which I think it did not) then LLDB will end up parsing your target definition file.

Right - I'm using the stock Android gdbserver.  I'll need to check exactly what's in there, but my first guess would be that there are no lldb extensions added to it since our NDK only supports gdb at this time.

I'll be debugging through this today so hopefully I'll have something to report soon.