[lldb-dev] run after process stop using python API

Greg Clayton gclayton at apple.com
Fri Jun 28 10:45:23 PDT 2013

DispatchInput is for you to give input into the debugger which will be fed to the top level InputReader.

LLDB has input readers that funnel one stdin into which ever input reader is on the top. LLDB has many input readers:
- the command interpreter
- the stdin for the process
- the embedded python script interpreter
- multi-line code expressions when you type "expression<RETURN>"
- multi-line python expressions for breakpoints and such

By default the command interpreter is the one and only input reader.

(lldb)

The input read stack looks like:
1 - command interpreter

If you then type "script":

(lldb) script
Python Interactive Interpreter. To exit, type 'quit()', 'exit()' or Ctrl-D.

Now the input read stack looks like:
1 - python interactive interpreter
2 - command interpreter

Any data passed into DispatchInput() will be passed to the top level interpreter until it decides it should be removed from the stack (by typing "quit()" in the python interactive interpreter).

So think of DispatchInput as supplying stdin to LLDB and LLDB will route that information as needed to the correct interpreter.

HandleCommand always goes to the command interpreter, no matter what input reader is being used.

Greg Clayton