[lldb-dev] run after process stop using python API

Enrico Granata egranata at apple.com
Wed Jun 26 14:06:40 PDT 2013

$ ./lldb /bin/ls
Current executable set to '/bin/ls' (x86_64).
(lldb) b malloc
Breakpoint 1: 2 locations.
(lldb) r
Process 48448 launched: '/bin/ls' (x86_64)
Process 48448 stopped
* thread #1: tid = 0x58fee, 0x00007fff906cd8f9 libsystem_malloc.dylib`malloc, stop reason = breakpoint 1.2
    frame #0: 0x00007fff906cd8f9 libsystem_malloc.dylib`malloc
libsystem_malloc.dylib`malloc:
-> 0x7fff906cd8f9:  pushq  %rbp
   0x7fff906cd8fa:  movq   %rsp, %rbp
   0x7fff906cd8fd:  pushq  %rbx
   0x7fff906cd8fe:  pushq  %rax
(lldb) r
There is a running process, kill it and restart?: [Y/n]  <— this is where you are hung waiting for input

You probably want to say i.HandleCommand(“c”,res)

OTOH, I wonder if we could do any better w.r.t. handling commands that require input - I think in our test suite, to do that kind of thing, we use pexpect to read/write from/to LLDB’s stdin/stdout

And with all of that said, if you are trying to do any serious instrumentation of your process, you might want to consider using the LLDB event model instead of HandleCommand() scripting.
An example of how you would do that in Python is in our source base at examples/python/process_events.py and (for the C++ way) in the lldb-perf project

Enrico Granata
📩 egranata@.com
☎️ 27683