[lldb-dev] a problem with source listing in my lldb port

jingham at apple.com jingham at apple.com
Wed Jul 17 10:27:29 PDT 2013

The DW_AT_name is supposed to be relative to the DW_AT_comp_dir.  The DWARF spec is actually a little fuzzy about this when describing the compilation unit, it says it has:

	• A DW_AT_name attribute whose value is a null-terminated string containing the full or relative path name of the primary source file from which the compilation unit was derived.

and:

	• A DW_AT_comp_dir attribute whose value is a null-terminated string containing the current working directory of the compilation command that produced this compilation unit in whatever form makes sense for the host system.

It doesn't actually say "relative to what" in the DW_AT_name description, but there isn't anything for it to be relative to but the DW_AT_comp_dir, and when file names are used in the line tables it makes it clear that they are relative to the DW_AT_comp_dir for the compilation unit.  So you have to fix your DWARF output so that either the DW_AT_name is a full path, or a path relative to the DW_AT_comp_dir.

Jim