[lldb-dev] Restoring build with LLDB_DISABLE_PYTHON

Jason Molenda jason at molenda.com
Tue Jul 2 13:16:56 PDT 2013

On Jul 2, 2013, at 10:18 AM, Ed Maste <emaste at freebsd.org> wrote:

> Incidentally, I'm curious about how widely used LLDB_DISABLE_PYTHON
> is.  For FreeBSD we'd eventually like to bring lldb into the base
> system, so having it be usable without Python is very interesting to
> us.

As Greg said, we are actively using the Python-less build of lldb in one configuration at Apple so it should build and work fine, I'm a little surprised that the build failure you hit didn't affect our build.

One thing to think about is that lldb users typically adopt the python scripting interfaces and build up collections of custom commands/formatters.  For new lldb users, lack of Python is not important - but once people have grown familiar with its capabilities, the lack of Python will be a real drag for them.

There's also a bit of refactoring needed for some of lldb's built in type summaries/synthesizers for the C++ standard libraries - there is no real dependance on Python in this code but they are intermixed with the Python-interface code so much that LLDB_DISABLE_PYTHON builds will be missing most of them.  This is a known problem that need to be fixed.