[lldb-dev] Linux Core Dump and Symbol resolution

Greg Clayton gclayton at apple.com
Wed Feb 13 18:17:06 PST 2013

On Feb 13, 2013, at 4:35 PM, Samuel Jacob <samueldotj at gmail.com> wrote:

> Greg and others,
>
> Update on the Linux coredump:
> It works if use "image load --file xxx .text yyyy".

This means the dynamic loader isn't working. You should debug through the dynamic loader and see why it isn't loading your objects where they should be.

The dynamic loader will get its "DidAttach()" function called from Process::LoadCore(), so set a breakpoint in there and see what is going wrong. In the MacOSX dynamic loader in DidAttach, we try and locate the list of shared libraries by grubbing through memory and loading everything where it should be.

> $ Release+Asserts/bin/lldb
> (lldb) target create -c ~/test/core
> Core file '/mts/home3/jacobs/test/core' (x86_64) was loaded.
> Process 0 stopped
> * thread #1: tid = 0x0000, 0x00000000004004c4, stop reason = signal SIGCONT
>     frame #0: 0x00000000004004c4
> -> 0x4004c4:  movb   $0, (%rax)
>    0x4004c7:  popq   %rbp
>    0x4004c8:  ret
>    0x4004c9:  pushq  %rbp
> (lldb) target modules add ~/test/a.out
> (lldb) image load --file ~/test/a.out .text 0x4003d0
> section '.text' loaded at 0x4003d0
> (lldb) bt
> * thread #1: tid = 0x0000, 0x00000000004004c4 a.out`function4(arg=0) + 16 at test.c:4, stop reason = signal SIGCONT
>     frame #0: 0x00000000004004c4 a.out`function4(arg=0) + 16 at test.c:4
>     frame #1: 0x00000000004004d7 a.out`function3 + 11 at test.c:8
>     frame #2: 0x00000000004004e7 a.out`function2(arg=4195559) + 11 at test.c:11
>     frame #3: 0x00000000004004f7 a.out`function1(arg1=0, arg2=140736328348032, str=0x00000000004004e7) + 3 at test.c:15
>     frame #4: 0x0000000000400507 a.out`function1(arg1=0, arg2=140736328348048, str=0x00000000004004f7) + 19 at test.c:15
>
> I didnt try this previously since I thought AUXV->AT_ENTRY processing is needed only if the load address is different.

No, you must still tell a file that its load address is the same. The reason being is all shared libraries start at zero and if you let all binaries overlap at this address, you end up with problems.

> Is there a reason why lldb is not using the symbol files virtual address as load address if load is not provided?

Yes, for the shared library reasons mentioned above. There is an easy command to load a library right where it lives:

(lldb) target modules load --slide 0 --file a.out

This will take a slide of zero and add it to each "file" address for each section and load each section at that same address.

> $eu-readelf -S ~/test/a.out  | grep .text
> [13] .text                PROGBITS     00000000004003d0 000003d0 00000238  0 AX     0   0 16
>
> $eu-readelf -n ~/test/core | grep ENTRY
>     ENTRY: 0x4003d0
>
> I tried running lldb on few core files and all worked fine.
> I will send the patch once I complete the following
> 1) Insert thread name, signal values
> 2) Insert AT_ENTRY
> 3) Add comments to the code
> 4) More testing

Nice work! I look forward to seeing the final patch.

Greg