[lldb-dev] compiler error with building lldb from scratch

Dmitry Markman dmarkman at mac.com
Fri Feb 8 06:07:00 PST 2013

I just checked out lldb sources, open Xcode workspace
in attempt to build lldb-tool target

I got few errors like
virtual function 'FindExternalVisibleDeclsByName' has a different return type ('clang::DeclContextLookupResult' (aka 'MutableArrayRef<clang::NamedDecl *>')) than the function it overrides (which has return type 'bool')
    FindExternalVisibleDeclsByName (const clang::DeclContext *DC,

and indeed file
lldb/llvm/tools/clang/include/clang/AST/ExternalASTSource.h has the following declaration
  virtual bool
  FindExternalVisibleDeclsByName(const DeclContext *DC, DeclarationName Name);

but my llvm sources (173760)
has the following declaration

  virtual DeclContextLookupResult
  FindExternalVisibleDeclsByName(const DeclContext *DC, DeclarationName Name);

if I replace lldb/llvm folder with llvm folder (173760)

I got another error:
lldb/source/DataFormatters/CXXFormatterFunctions.cpp:14:10: fatal error: 'llvm/Support/ConvertUTF.h' file not found

that file does exist in the latest llvm repository
so if I copy that file to the lldb/llvm/include/llvm/Support folder

then build was ok

thanks

Dmitry Markman