[lldb-dev] Merging/Unification of windows and trunk builds

Greg Clayton gclayton at apple.com
Fri Aug 23 09:28:35 PDT 2013

On Aug 23, 2013, at 9:03 AM, Colin Riley <colin at codeplay.com> wrote:

> Hello all, Codeplay reporting in.
>
> We want to do the merge and unification between the windows and trunk branches of LLDB. We are doing lots of work with LLDB and it seems the most sensible thing do to given the amount of effort we currently undertake to maintain both branches locally.
>
> Obviously the merge must not break the buildbots currently running on the non-windows target. Additionally, the tests do not run at all under windows, which is an issue we will need to look into solving. It will be difficult given the fact the windows branch itself will not be able to actually debug on windows, however we'd like to do this to the point where the windows branch can be closed.
>
> Our questions to folk on here: what would be accepted in terms of support for this? It could be quite a large patch, and touch many areas, but it is something that needs done to further advance LLDB support for other architectures and platforms. It will also include changes to the driver so a command line frontend is available for windows.

We currently have a MinGW patch that is in the process of trying to get submitted, so I would hold off on any commits/patches until this makes it in. The patch is currently causing deadlocks on linux buildbots. Once this is in, we can then merge top of tree with the windows branch prior to submitting patches for the final windows merge that will allow us to remove the windows branch.

> Are there any reservations folk have for this, and if so, can we overcome them?

So first we need to get the MinGW patch submitted, then we can proceed.

Greg