[lldb-dev] Restarting the application in remote debugging

chansarav chansarav at gmail.com
Mon Aug 19 07:44:20 PDT 2013

> Send a “WXX” packet to indicate the program exited.

Thank you. Sending the "WXX"” packet to indicate the program exited worked.
I received the following message at the lldb prompt.

Process 1 exited with status = 0

And now to restart the application I gave the 'run' command for which I
received the error "'A' packet returned an error: -1". When I checked the
simulator for this I found that the simulator didn't receive the 'A'
packet.

When debugged the lldb, I found that the problem is with the platform that
has been chosen for my target. I had made platform "gdb-server" as my
default platform explicitly by modifying the
"PlatformRemoteGDBServer::Initialize ()" method.

$ lldb --arch vliw workplace/app.elf
Current executable set to 'workplace/app.elf' (vliw).
(lldb) target list
Current targets:
* target #0: /home/chandra/app01/workplace/app.elf (
arch=vliw-unknown-unknown, platform=remote-gdb-server )

Since I was connecting the target simulator using the Process plugin
'gdb-remote', the platform "gdb-server" didn't come into picture of
connecting the simulator.

(lldb) process connect --plugin gdb-remote connect://localhost:51000

The connection and the debugging happened through the 'gdb-remote' Process
plugin. And the problem comes when I restart the program after it
terminates with an exit status. I.e. When I give the 'run' command to
restart the program, the platform "gdb-server" sends the argument packet
'A' for program launching. But there is no connection associated with the
platform "gdb-server". Hence lldb gives the following error:

error: 'A' packet returned an error: -1

With my existing porting of lldb I am able to connect the simulator and
successfully debug a program once. But I am not able to do the following:

1. Restart the program for debugging with disconnecting the connection.
2. Send launch command to the simulator from lldb.

Can't I support the above two features from the 'gdb-remote' Process
plugin? Can you please suggest the way of supporting the above two features?

Thanks,
Chandra Kumar R.