[lldb-dev] [patches] Windows support

João Matos ripzonetriton at gmail.com
Wed Sep 5 19:03:53 PDT 2012

Hi.

I just saw a new branch for Windows has been created, and since I've had
this work sitting here on the hard drive, waiting for me to have more time
to work on it, I might as well contribute them now, and see if they can
help the current effort to port LLDB to Windows.

Right now they add a new CMake-based build system, I've only tested it on
Windows, so I'm sure it needs some work to properly support other
platforms. The existing code is pretty POSIX-specific and this gives a lot
of trouble on Windows, so I've replaced what I could with replacements.
>From what I remember, the main ones were LLVM regex support and Win32
native threads / concurrency stuff. Some non-portable POSIX functions were
added to a Windows-only file that eases out porting the codebase and some
stuff that has no equivalent on Windows was stubbed out (POSIX terminal
functions).

The driver is also pretty messy, using a lot of non-portable, in the last
patch you can see I started a refactoring of it, but it still needs work.

At the current state it can run on Windows, but nothing debug-related was
added, that was my next step, but I've been busy doing other LLVM /
Clang-related Windows work.

I've tried to keep the patches contained and small, but since I just split
them up from a big soup of changes, it's probably messy in a couple of
places, and I didn't review them heavily. Nonetheless, I think this could
help kickstart the new Windows branch and a lot of changes should be easy
to review and include.

(Had to send patches as a zip archive since they reach the size limit of
the list)

--
João Matos