[lldb-dev] Python packaging change

Charles Davis cdavis at mymail.mines.edu
Mon May 14 12:31:15 PDT 2012

On May 14, 2012, at 1:16 PM, Mark Peek wrote:

> I recently updated by tree and had problems running lldb due to Python issues.
> Below is what I've been able to determine is the issue. I thought asking the
> list first for directional advice would make more sense prior to suggesting a
> patch.
>
> This revision changed the Python files into a Python package:
> http://llvm.org/viewvc/llvm-project?view=rev&revision=155514
>
> However, this broke running on FreeBSD since the finish-swig-Python-LLDB.sh
> script is only run from an Xcode build even though the script appears to
> support both LLDB.framework and non-Darwin builds. For non-Darwin builds the
> Python file install is done in source/Interpreter/Makefile (which was not
> changed to support the new packaging and usage).
And now it is. Try this patch.

> There are probably 3 locations for installing the Python packages:
>
> 1. Framework installs for Darwin
> 2. In-tree installs for testing lldb local to the source tree
> 3. Installed lldb for general use.
>
> I believe the Python packaging should be consistent across these install
> locations even though the actual location may vary. The question is, where
> should the packaging be done for these to be kept consistent? Should
> non-Darwin systems use the shell script instead of the Makefile? Or should
> both be kept in sync?
The problem with the shell script is that, when run on Darwin, it assumes it was run from Xcode. Not all of us use Xcode to build on Darwin ;). Personally, I would like to get rid of the duplication of effort between the shell scripts and the makefiles, but I haven't figured out how I want to do that yet.

> 2. It is unclear that the non-Darwin need or want some of the Cocoa/objc
> python files which would mean changing the packaging and the Python imports
> used in ScriptInterpreterPython.cpp to optionally install those files.
Imagine that you're debugging a program on a remote Mac OS X system.

Chip