[lldb-dev] MacOSX attaching to process

Jim Ingham jingham at apple.com
Sun Jul 29 13:18:12 PDT 2012

On Jul 28, 2012, at 11:08 PM, Benjamin Kemper <kemperbenny at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the great answers!
>
> So for what exactly do you need XPC?
> If you are using by default debugserver to handle the control of the application, and I'm guessing you are communicating with over it TCP the same as GDB, then XPC is planned for interprocess communication instead of TCP?

XPC handles the privilege escalation if you want to attach to a root process from a user account.  Facilitating a design where privileged operations are done in small special purpose tools is actually one of the principle roles of XPC on OX X.

> I've seen that LLDB uses vm_write/read system calls to read and write memory, is there a reason ptrace is not used for that?

Because ptrace doesn't support reading & writing memory or registers on X.  Those can only be done with the mach calls.  You might want to ask the follow up question why those ptrace functions aren't supported on Mac OS X, but you'd have to find somebody who was at NeXT 15 or 20 years ago to get the answer to that one.

Jim