[lldb-dev] make install target breaks on Linux because --prefix is ignored

Malea, Daniel daniel.malea at intel.com
Fri Aug 3 14:56:30 PDT 2012

Hi all,

I built LLDB on Linux recently, and I noticed that "make install" doesn't complete successfully as of the latest trunk revision.

After some makefile digging, I found the cause is that make and tries to copy the python modules to "/usr/lib/pythonX.Y/site-packages" or in "/lldb" if the site-packages directory does not exist...thereby disregarding the "--prefix" flag specified at configure-time. This may cause some headaches for users without root access.

I'm wondering if this is intended (and if someone depends on this behaviour) or if it would be acceptable for me to submit a patch that fixes the problem by putting the python modules in the directory specified by the --prefix option?

Naturally, if users want a global install of the lldb modules, they can always configure "--prefix=/usr"

Thanks,
Dan