[lldb-dev] Compilation failure on FreeBSD 8.

Enrico Granata granata.enrico at gmail.com
Thu Sep 22 07:29:41 PDT 2011

The reason for this error looks like an ambiguity in template resolution. In order to implement a "special" behavior for regex-based summaries, the Delete_Impl call uses template specialization:
    template<typename K, typename V>
    bool
    Delete_Impl (ConstString type, Types<K,V>)
vs.
    template<typename V>
    bool
    Delete_Impl (ConstString type, Types<lldb::RegularExpressionSP,V>)

Your compiler seems to be inferring correctly the template arguments, but has a doubt on whether it should pick the specialized function, or the general one replacing K = lldb::RegularExpressionSP

This is the first time I see a compiler being confused at this (LLDB is routinely compiled with clang and I guess several people compile it on Linux with GCC as well). This idiom is actually a quite common way to obtain one-function-specialization-inside-class-template.

In order to try and solve this, could you try to clean your LLDB build folder and try to build LLDB alone without the rest of LLVM, or using a different more recent version of GCC?

- Enrico Granata