[lldb-dev] Obj-C ivars inside implementation file

Greg Clayton gclayton at apple.com
Wed Nov 2 10:04:56 PDT 2011

On Nov 2, 2011, at 9:17 AM, Nickolay Tarbayev wrote:

> There is a new feature using LLVM 3.0 that the ivars for Obj-C classes could be declared in class extension or @implementaion section.
> Either way if the ivar was declared inside .m file debugger have no access to it.
> I tried po and expr commands with no luck.
> Did I miss something or this problem will be solved in future versions?

We have an open bug on this, so no need to file one.

The issue is made worse by the fact all translation units that use the class only get the header file, so all of the debug info for this class is incomplete 99% of the time. There is only 1 version of the debug info for the class which has the complete information. Compilers also used to not tell us about properties, though this has been fixed in recent clang builds. So when ever we see an objective C class, now the debugger has to go through ALL modules to try and find the one complete definition for a given type and ignore the type that it has been given in the debug info.

I agree it is nice to hide this stuff, but it really makes it a pain for the debuggers to deal with. Rest assured we are currently working on this.

Greg Clayton