[lldb-dev] lldb -- architecture level question -- linux v. darwin

Reid Kleckner reid.kleckner at gmail.com
Wed Mar 16 11:58:22 PDT 2011

On Wed, Mar 16, 2011 at 2:52 PM, Jason E. Aten <j.e.aten at gmail.com> wrote:
> Jim, thank you--that makes alot of sense. I hadn't thought through the
> signal implications.  And re-reading Reid's post, he does make it clear that
> the JIT-code injection is somehow a part of an interprocess communication.
> The question then becomes, does the DNB.h protocol support the JIT-code
> injection, or if not, could that be a part of it?

Yup, it works similar to the way debuggers find out about dynamically
loaded libraries.  There's a particular loader stub that gets called
after every library load or unload.  Debuggers put a breakpoint on it
to stop the inferior process and re-read the list of loaded libraries
with remote memory examination routines, so there's your (hacky) IPC.

Reid