[lldb-dev] Symbolic Queries + LLDB

Sean Callanan scallanan at apple.com
Mon Oct 18 11:15:56 PDT 2010

Milen,

As far as "native plugin languages" go, Python is the language we use to implement higher-level features (like test-suites) on top of LLDB.  Our plug-ins, which are (as you say) written in C++, typically provide LLDB with specific implementations of functionality, like object-file reading, or process control, that varies from platform to platform.  At first glance, your feature would not appear to be a "plug-in" in that sense.

LLDB has full type information, and LLDB's expression parser can get the values of variables that are available in the current scope.  LLDB (like GDB) gets the information about what variables are in scope at a particular point from the debug information provided with the program (on OS X, the DWARF debugging information).  This information does not come with full ASTs, only with a mapping from assembly locations to source lines.

What you will need to implement, if you want to find conditionals, is a mechanism that discovers conditionals in the source code of a function, and then maps them back using the debugging information to assembly locations.  Then, wherever you're stopped, you can see what conditions are true at the current point, and make your symbolic deductions.  Discovering conditionals involves parsing, which LLVM can do for you.  I would be wary of implementing source-code parsing as a general feature of LLDB, because it's difficult to determine the exact context in which a source file was compiled – i.e., the #defines that were set, etc.

It sounds like a good first step might be to sketch out the algorithm you intend to use for finding what conditions hold at the current execution point, and then seeing what parts require new API functionality.

Sean