[lldb-dev] Removing the llvm.zip from the repository?

Jason Molenda jason at molenda.com
Tue Jun 8 23:48:17 PDT 2010

On Jun 8, 2010, at 11:18 PM, Eli Friedman wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I checked out the source a few minutes ago; I figured that the
> inclusion of a 40MB zip file in the repository was a mistake, so I
> removed it.  Apparently, it wasn't a mistake, though, so I re-added
> it.

Thanks for re-adding it.  We've been using prebuilt binaries as a convenience so we're not frequently rebuilding llvm when working on our lldb changes internally.  Let me check with Greg and see what the issue was he was solving here - ideally if I'm only modifying lldb source files I shouldn't get hit with an llvm rebuild.

We do lock our llvm sources to a specific revision (currently 2010-06-03T13:00, I don't know if that's UTC or PDT), usually moving up the revision when we need some change that was added to llvm.  This is also not necessary but it does simplify things for us a bit to not be exposed to the day-to-day changes in llvm.

> Since it is necessary, at least for the moment, would it be difficult
> to change the XCode-based build system to keep it outside of the
> repository?

Greg or I will follow up tomorrow on this.