[libcxx-dev] Renaming The Default Branch

Mike Edwards via libcxx-dev libcxx-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Nov 13 15:56:41 PST 2020

Hi Everyone,
Many tech communities, including GitHub <https://github.com/github/renaming>
 and Git <https://sfconservancy.org/news/2020/jun/23/gitbranchname/>, have
moved away from term “master branch” and replaced it with “main branch” in
an
effort to remove unnecessary references to slavery and use more inclusive
terms.  This was also discussed on the LLVM-dev mailing list
<https://lists.llvm.org/pipermail/llvm-dev/2020-June/142445.html>
and there was strong consensus from LLVM Developers’ that the LLVM Project
should also rename our master branch as well. Now that
an industry standard name has been selected by GitHub, the LLVM Project can
begin the renaming process of the default branch to “main”.

*This change will occur at **06:00GMT on Monday December 7, 2020** (time is
**GMT**, please adjust for your local timezone).*

To make this as easy as possible we plan to do the following *prior to
November 20, 2020*:
* Create a new branch named 'test-main' on the llvm-project repository
    * This branch will be read-only except for the llvmbot account
    * Setup a GitHub action to mirror commits from 'master' to ‘test-main'
automatically
    * Allow the configuration to soak for a few days to ensure everything
works
* Create a new branch named “main” on the llvm-project repository
    * This branch will be readonly initially
    * Reuse the previous Github Action to mirror master to main
    * This configuration will stay in place until cutover takes place on
Dec. 7

*On December 7, 2020*:
* We will lock the master branch and change it to be readonly (with the
exception of llvmbot)
* Switch the GitHub action to mirror commits from the new main branch back
to the old master branch
* Make a few test commits to ensure the GitHub action is functioning as
expected
* Open the main branch to commits from community members
* In parallel we will begin to work through the rest of the llvm
organization repositories to update branch names as well
* We will update the developer policy to reflect the change in workflow

*On January 7, 2021*:
* We will remove the ‘master’ branch from all repositories in the llvm
organization

As we work towards December 7, 2020 we are going to set up a test of this
system on a fork of the llvm-project
in order to simulate the cutover. If we encounter any issues we will update
the community on llvm-dev.
We expect the llvm-project repository to be unavailable to developers for
approximately 1 hour while the
switch is made. Lockout will occur promptly at 06:00GMT on the 7th.
Certainly if we finish sooner, we will
update llvm-dev to let everyone know the repository is available for use
once again.

We know this has been a long process and we want to thank everyone for
their patience.  We look forward to getting
the project completed soon.

Respectfully,

Mike Edwards
On Behalf Of the LLVM Foundation