[libcxx-dev] Requiring monorepo layout when building libc++ and libc++abi

Louis Dionne via libcxx-dev libcxx-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Mar 11 11:50:08 PDT 2020

> On Mar 11, 2020, at 14:36, Mikhail Maltsev <mikhail.maltsev at arm.com> wrote:
>
> On 3/11/20 5:49 PM, James Y Knight via libcxx-dev wrote:
>> +1. Any simplifications and cleanups of the buildsystem SGTM.
>>
>> On Wed, Mar 11, 2020 at 1:28 PM Louis Dionne via libcxx-dev
>> <libcxx-dev at lists.llvm.org <mailto:libcxx-dev at lists.llvm.org>> wrote:
>>
>>    Hey folks,
>>
>>    Now that the monorepo is the standard, would everybody be fine with
>>    requiring both libc++ and libc++abi sources to be accessible in a
>>    monorepo-like layout when building either of them? In other words, in order
>>    to build either libc++ or libc++abi, we would require the following layout:
>>
>>       <root>/libcxx
>>       <root>/libcxxabi
>
> What about requiring libunwind in '<root>/libunwind' when building libc++abi
> with libunwind?

We can, however I'd like to note that I've done a lot of CMake refactoring in libc++ and libc++abi in a way that those would benefit from this, but none in libunwind.

I think libunwind won't benefit quite as much until it gets the love it needs, but I don't see a strong reason not to require libunwind/ too. After all, it's part of the C++ Runtime as well, so it makes sense at least from a conceptual perspective.

Louis