[libcxx-dev] Windows support for filesystem?

Martin Storsjö via libcxx-dev libcxx-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Jul 28 12:57:46 PDT 2020

On Mon, 27 Jul 2020, Stephan T. Lavavej via libcxx-dev wrote:

> [AE]
>> currently, libc++ does not have filesystem support on Windows.
>> Is that something that is being worked on? Is there a roadmap or
>> something similar, for when filesystem support might be added on windows?
>
> Like charconv, Microsoft would be happy to provide our filesystem
> implementation to libcxx. We've already done the time-consuming work of
> figuring out how to map the C++17 interface to the Windows API, and how
> to deal with Windows path syntax. And we have the same license. :-)

FWIW, I've started looking into this at some point, but never had time to
dig deeper into it yet.

Having access to a complete implementation of C++17 filesystem for Windows
is very helpful, to see how to map the different end-user APIs to the
platform features in the best way. The main hurdle for integrating it is
making it fit into the existing libc++ intermediate abstractions used.

Also, IIRC, the libc++ testsuite for the filesystem features doesn't pass
with MSVC's STL at the moment, so the first step would probably to fix the
testsuite to work in that setup, to use that as a reference for the libc++
implementation afterwards.

// Martin