[libcxx-dev] Should libcxx+libcxxabi+libunwind speed up concurrent stack unwinding?

Christian Schafmeister via libcxx-dev libcxx-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sun Feb 23 21:45:41 PST 2020

Hi,

We are seeing terrible performance when throwing exceptions in multiple
threads on Linux and FreeBSD but on macOS the performance is fine.  It
appears that there is a mutex in the unwinding code (if I read things
correctly its in Unwind_Find_FDE).    I tried linking with
libcxx+libcxxabi+libunwind in the hopes that it would speed things up on
Linux but it did not.

Should linking with libcxx+libcxxabi+libunwind speed up concurrent stack
unwinding?

I wrote a little C++ demo that illustrates the problem...
https://github.com/clasp-developers/ctak

--
Christian Schafmeister
Professor, Chemistry Department