[libcxx-dev] Non-merged type info name comparison

Shoaib Meenai via libcxx-dev libcxx-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Sep 23 12:15:10 PDT 2019

Ah, sorry – my apologies.

From: Marshall Clow <mclow.lists at gmail.com>
Date: Monday, September 23, 2019 at 12:14 PM
To: Shoaib Meenai <smeenai at fb.com>
Cc: "libcxx-dev at lists.llvm.org" <libcxx-dev at lists.llvm.org>
Subject: Re: [libcxx-dev] Non-merged type info name comparison

On Mon, Sep 23, 2019 at 12:02 PM Shoaib Meenai via libcxx-dev <libcxx-dev at lists.llvm.org<mailto:libcxx-dev at lists.llvm.org>> wrote:
In https://reviews.llvm.org/rL361913<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__reviews.llvm.org_rL361913&d=DwMFaQ&c=5VD0RTtNlTh3ycd41b3MUw&r=o3kDXzdBUE3ljQXKeTWOMw&m=zXNo5HfpEBs2AeK5MYbybBHSXRWS2rfFR2LYPo1zuhA&s=5In-WOhspL-mxLcgsafyIl0_G_S9IkKnfaj3lVT6y44&e=>, libc++ gained the option to make type info comparisons use a strcmp on the type info name, which is useful for when we can’t guarantee RTTI uniqueness. I believe libstdc++ also defaults to strcmp comparisons. However, libstdc++ doesn’t perform the string comparison when the type info name begins with the * character [1], which is the case for e.g. types defined in anonymous namespaces. Should libc++’s implementation be changed to match, at least when targeting Linux?

[1] https://github.com/gcc-mirror/gcc/blo (rest of link elided)

Please don't post links/snippets of GPL code here; we can't look at them for licensing reasons.

-- Marshall