[libcxx-dev] unstable ABI compiler assumptions

James Y Knight via libcxx-dev libcxx-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Jun 27 11:26:48 PDT 2019

On Thu, Jun 27, 2019 at 1:32 PM Louis Dionne <ldionne at apple.com> wrote:

> My opinion:
>
> Unstable ABI means unstable, period. No guarantees whatsoever except if
> you compile the program with the same toolchain and same flags (within
> reason -- warnings shouldn't impact the ABI). Keeping the ABI stable is so
> difficult that claiming anything more complex than "full ABI compat" or "no
> ABI compat at all" is naive IMO. We'll end up breaking it in subtle ways
> anyway.

IMO, the unstable ABI ought to be managed in such a way as to make it
suitable to convert into an ABIv2 at some point in the future. So, it
should have "full ABI compatibility" just like the stable ABI -- but unlike
the stable ABI, only at a particular snapshot of the headers, not stable
across all versions.

(IOW, a person may change the unstable ABI at any time by editing the
header files, but with a particular snapshot of the headers, the
abi-stability properties ought to be equivalent)

> So I'm OK with the proposed change in principle (but not about the details
> of how it's implemented, see the review for details).
>
> On Jun 26, 2019, at 18:09, James Y Knight via libcxx-dev <
> libcxx-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
>
> I think autodetection of ABI-changing features is a bad idea, no matter in
> the stable or unstable ABI.
>
> If libc++ wants to have an ABI which depends on certain new features from
> the compiler, that seems fine. But, when that ABI is enabled, trying to use
> the library with a compiler missing said feature should cause a compilation
> failure, not the silent use of an incompatible ABI.
>

> I agree, however with the tools we have today, I think that would mean
> encoding every single ABI-changing feature into an inline namespace. Then
> you'd get a link error instead of a runtime error.

That's not what I was going for at all. I think it's totally reasonable for
it to be up to users of the unstable ABI to not mix-and-match objects
compiled against different versions of the header files -- or else to
manage their own custom namespace to avoid such conflicts. All I'm saying
is that ABI-changing features ought to be enabled and disabled by editing
the __config header file, not by auto-detecting what compiler is used to
compile a particular source file.

That is, something like this:

#if defined(_LIBCPP_ABI_UNSTABLE)
#  if !defined(_LIBCPP_ABI_USE_NO_UNIQUE_ADDRESS)
#    define _LIBCPP_ABI_USE_NO_UNIQUE_ADDRESS  1
#  endif
#else
#  define _LIBCPP_ABI_USE_NO_UNIQUE_ADDRESS  0
#endif

#if defined(_LIBCPP_ABI_USE_NO_UNIQUE_ADDRESS)
#  if !__has_cpp_attribute(no_unique_address)
#    error "_LIBCPP_ABI_USE_NO_UNIQUE_ADDRESS requires the
no_unique_address attribute, which is not supported by your compiler."
#  endif
#endif

Louis