[libcxx-dev] libcxx on MSVC6.0 runtime

Brendan Heinonen via libcxx-dev libcxx-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Feb 28 09:20:39 PST 2019

Hi,

After some wrangling, I've managed to get libcxx running, linking against
the MSVC 6.0 runtime library (yes... from 1998).  Right now, libcxx only
supports MSVC 14.0 (2015) and above, presumably because the standard
library did not have complete C99 support.  I'd like to possibly contribute
these changes, but I have a couple of questions.

1. Would there be any interest in these patches, and would there be any
chance of getting them merged since it would not be standards-compliant
(due to missing C99+ functions in the runtime)?
2. If so, what would be the proper way of handling the missing functions?
Right now, I have solved the missing function declarations by declaring
them in a "shim" header I created outside libcxx.  Obviously, that's a less
than ideal solution.  Instead, would wrapping the missing functions with a
preprocessor if be acceptable?  This would break standards compatibility
when targeting MSVC 13.0 and below.  Here's an example:

#ifndef _LIBCPP_VCRUNTIME_NO_C11
using ::vfscanf;
using ::vsscanf;
#endif