[libcxx-dev] Removing deprecated <ext/hash_set>, <ext/hash_map> and <ext/__hash>

Chandler Carruth via libcxx-dev libcxx-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Feb 5 20:18:07 PST 2019

FWIW, I'm pretty sure we still have plenty of code using them. We've not
done any analysis to see what timeframe that code could be be updated on --
our focus has been on *adopting* libc++ (and easing that path), not
removing the uses of weird things that it also supports. I'll point out
that I'd rather focus our energy on adopting libc++ than even doing this
analysis. ;]

I somewhat agree with Joerg that it would be good to understand the
motivation. Much like a bunch of our other compatibility things (GCC flags,
language extensions, etc.), having these headers helps encourage / ease
adoption which seems a generally good thing for libc++. I can imagine that
there is some large cost to keeping these around that would motivate
removing them, but I don't see anything about that in the above?

-Chandler