[libcxx-dev] How to check for a feature-test macro

Richard Smith via libcxx-dev libcxx-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Dec 6 15:01:03 PST 2018

On Thu, 6 Dec 2018 at 13:44, Louis Dionne <ldionne at apple.com> wrote:

> On Dec 6, 2018, at 14:41, Richard Smith via libcxx-dev <
> libcxx-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
>
> On Thu, 6 Dec 2018 at 09:58, Marshall Clow <mclow.lists at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Dec 5, 2018 at 5:21 PM Richard Smith <richard at metafoo.co.uk>
>> wrote:

>>> Maybe this is lack of imagination on my part, but isn't a test failure
>>> for an unimplemented standard library feature exactly the desired behavior?
>>>

>> No. The test here is for the correct definition of the macro in question.
>> With the adoption of feature test macros, the committee has explicitly
>> sanctioned the idea of incomplete implementations.
>>

> Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you mean, but I don't agree. An incomplete
> implementation is non-conforming, just as it always was. No part of the
> language or library is optional. All parts are required to be implemented,
> and all feature test macros are required to be defined, by a conforming
> implementation. The existence of feature test macros do not sanction the
> absence of features in a conforming implementation, they merely provide a
> mechanism by which a user of an implementation can query whether they're
> using an incomplete (and therefore non-conforming) implementation, and if
> so, which parts are available and which parts are still work in progress.
>
> In D55308, I am using the following form:

>>> A standard library implementation that partially supports a feature may
>>> define the feature test macro to a value lower than the standard one. Your
>>> revised approach would reject that.
>>>

>> It would; I haven't considered that.
>>

>>> There are two things that I think are reasonable:
>>>
>>> 1) Condition all your tests on the relevant feature test macros, and add
>>>
>>> LIBCPP_STATIC_ASSERT(__cpp_lib_char8_t >= 201811L, "libc++ should
>>> implement this");
>>>
>>> to make sure that libc++ in particular behaves as expected, or
>>>
>>> 2) Write tests that test for conformance: the feature test macros should
>>> be correct and the functionality should be available. That way a standard
>>> library implementation that fails to implement a feature (and doesn't
>>> advertise the feature via feature test macros) doesn't get an "all tests
>>> pass" despite not implementing all of the standard library.
>>>
>>> I'd lean towards option 2 myself, but maybe vendors of other stdlibs
>>> using the libc++ testsuite might have a different opinion.
>>>

>> I'd rather avoid that; long-term test failures are not in anyones
>> best-interest.
>> It leads to people ignoring the test results "oh, yeah we always have
>> test failures"
>>

> Test failures on tests for features that you don't implement seem like
> exactly the right behavior to me. Isn't that already the status quo for the
> rest of libc++'s test suite? If someone doesn't implement, say,
> std::unique_ptr, shouldn't all the unique_ptr tests fail for their
> implementation?
>

> Yes, although we have other examples where we're more lenient. For
> [...]

I think maybe something between my option 1 and option 2 above might work
to split the difference. Divide the tests into two categories:

 a) Functionality tests, conditioned on feature-test macros that indicate
support for the tested feature
 b) Feature-test macro tests that ensure the macros are at the current
highest version

That way, a failure in the tests in category (a) indicate a serious bug:
you're advertising support for a feature that you don't have. But a failure
in the tests in category (b) indicate that your implementation is
incomplete (and if no category (a) test fails, it's correctly reporting its
incompleteness to the user). Then you can XFAIL the category (b) tests for
the implementations that don't yet support whichever features.