[Libclc-dev] Any plan for OpenCL 1.2?

Aaron Watry via Libclc-dev libclc-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Jul 20 07:24:20 PDT 2020

On Sat, Jul 18, 2020, 11:53 PM DING, Yang via Libclc-dev <
libclc-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> It seems libclc currently implements the library requirements of the
> OpenCL C programming language, as specified by the OpenCL 1.1
> Specification.
>
> I am wondering if there is any active development or plan to upgrade
> it to OpenCL 1.2? If not, what are the biggest challenges?

I haven't checked in a while, but I think the biggest blocker at this point
is that we still don't have a printf implementation in libclc.  Most/all of
the rest of the required functions are already implemented to expose 1.2.

I had started on a pure-C printf implementation a while back that would in
theory be portable to devices printing to a local/global buffer, but
stalled out on it when I got to printing vector arguments and hex-float
formats.  Also, the fact that global atomics in CL aren't guaranteed to be
synchronized across all work groups executing a kernel (just within a given
workgroup for a given global buffer).

If someone wants to take a peek or keep going with it, I've uploaded my WIP
code for the printf implementation here: https://github.com/awatry/printf

It's probably horrible, and may have to be re-written from scratch to
actually work on a GPU, but it may be a start :)

Thanks,
Aaron