No subject

Sun Apr 27 11:26:59 PDT 2014

define <3 x i8> @_Z6vload3jPKc(i32 %offset, i8* nocapture readonly %x) #0 {
  %1 = mul i32 %offset, 3
  %2 = getelementptr inbounds i8* %x, i32 %1
  %3 = bitcast i8* %2 to <4 x i8>*
  %4 = load <4 x i8>* %3, align 4
  %5 = shufflevector <4 x i8> %4, <4 x i8> undef, <3 x i32> <i32 0,
i32 1, i32 2>
  ret <3 x i8> %5
}

In theory, vec3 takes 4 elements worth of space

If you use a vload3 which is at the end of your allocated memory
space, would it be possible to get segfaults or VM faults since we'd
be reading 1 element past what we've allocated?

E.g. Allocated 48 bytes (4 x int3, or 3 x int4), followed by:
vload3(3, global int* input)

In theory, that should read integers input[9], input[10], and
input[11], but it will also read and then discard int[12]...

Or am I missing something? Is the allocation required to be padded to
prevent this from happening?  The status of 3-element vectors being
occasionally treated as 4-element vectors for memory operations is
"fun".

--Aaron