[libc-dev] [llvm-dev] How about add webassembly/wasi support in llvm-libc.

Ebrahim Byagowi via libc-dev libc-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Sep 23 12:49:00 PDT 2020

Somehow I wish not all parts of a libc but parts that can be provided
without a JavaScript wrapper for .wasm can be provided from llvm's libc
(leaving a stab implementation for the rest like file system). I've put
together a minimal libc on [1] so using a 26kb .wasm binary file one can
decode both PNG and JPG using this [2] simple to integrate JavaScript code,
can be easily ported in other contexts .wasm can be interpreted without
worrying about a helper. I had to use -nostdlib and -nostdinc in my build
script but I wished the llvm-libc initiative can make it simpler so I don't
have to put together a minimal libc for my need.

Something similar can be achieved in Rust world using --target
wasm32-unknown-unknown e.g. [3] which I guess can be best lead here also in
terms what can be in scope of this work.

 [1]: https://github.com/harfbuzz/harfbuzzjs/tree/edf1d8b/libc
 [2]:
https://github.com/harfbuzz/harfbuzzjs/blob/gh-pages/stb-image/index.html
 [3]: https://github.com/RazrFalcon/ttf-parser/commit/b0cfc67