[libc-dev] Question About <math.h> Speed/Accuracy Goals with llvm-libc

Sameed A. Pervaiz via libc-dev libc-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Jun 22 05:56:54 PDT 2020

Hi all,

I was just wondering about what balance between speed/accuracy the
project is aiming to hit in functions such as `hypot(double, double)'.

In particular, I was looking at a recent algorithm published at
https://arxiv.org/abs/1904.09481 which offers an accuracy/rounding
improvement over glibc's `__ieee754_hypot(double, double)' at the sake
of around a 5x performance penalty...

If anyone could shed some insight into this question, as vague or
trivial as it might be, I would be most grateful.

Cheers,
Sameed