[flang-dev] [llvm-dev] MLIR for clang

Michael Kruse via flang-dev flang-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Feb 18 08:15:42 PST 2020

Am Mo., 17. Feb. 2020 um 18:30 Uhr schrieb C Bergström
<cbergstrom at pathscale.com>:
> I don't know how they are doing it, but if they hook in after AST like we do and make a whole knew SomethingGen/ it should be possible that regular rebase will work. That internal API isn't stable, but I don't remember a ton of code churn on either sides of the API that we connected with. Of course this is anecdotal, but it's exactly the kind of feedback that may be helpful to others trying to achieve what I think they are aiming for.

I think we are talking about two different things here. Your approach
is to create a new SomethingGen next to (or replacing) clangCodeGen to
emit a different IR.
I was assuming Compiler Tree wants to change the entire mid-end
pipeline to the MLIR's LLVM dialect, but to begin with, clangCodeGen
could be converted only and MLIR's LLVM-IR conversion be used to pass
the result to the mid-end pipeline. One would not want to 'fork' to
clangCodeGen since it's mostly a mechanical change and merge conflicts
are still the easiest way to reflect upstream changes directly.

Michael