[flang-dev] Flang Biweekly Sync - Notes from the April 15, 2020 call

Gary Klimowicz via flang-dev flang-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Apr 16 06:49:27 PDT 2020

Flang team,

Here are the notes from the April 15th, 2020 Flang biweekly call.

The Flang Technical Community call was held Monday, April 6th, 8:30 AM Pacific Time. The next call will be Monday, April 20th.

The next Flang biweekly call will be Wednesday, April 29th, 2020 at 8:30 AM Pacific Time.

Logistics information for these calls is at the end of this email.

Let me know if you have any topics you would like covered in the next call.

Thank you.

Gary Klimowicz

Agenda

  *   Flang uploaded to LLVM!
  *   Now what do we talk about on the next technical call?
  *   F18 development update
  *   Flang development update

Highlights

  *   LLVM Flang update
     *   Flang has been added to the LLVM monorepo. Many thanks to everyone who contributed to this effort.
     *   The existing github.com/f18 repository has been marked as “moved to the monorepo”. Current pull requests against the f18 repository will need to migrate to LLVM repo and Phabricator.
     *   IBM has published an RFC regarding aliasing information to flang-dev and llvm-dev.
     *   See the detailed notes below for other Flang development updates.

  *   Original Flang Dev news and updates
     *   The parts of these call notes that change infrequently will refer to the Flang wiki for status. This will help us keep the Flang wiki up to date.
     *   No update yet on the process for merging external contributions to Flang.

  *   Flang Community Technical Biweekly Call
     *   The last call was Monday, April 6th: We finalized the steps for the upload of Flang to the LLVM repository. There was also a brief discussion about LLVM aliasing and Fortran led by IBM. This discussion is continuing on the flang-dev email list.
     *   The next technical call is scheduled for April 20th.
     *   Now what? Hal Finkel encourages people to add both small and large technical topics to the Google Doc for the technical call. Now that we are past the hurdle of upstreaming the initial code base to LLVM, it’s time to talk more about real compiler issues! The link to the Google Doc can be found in the notes below.

Details (Updates below are in bold)

  1.  Flang on GitHub
·         F18 has moved to https://github.com/llvm/llvm-project/tree/master/flang.
·         There have been 1,676 total commits to github.com/flang-compiler/flang (no change since the previous update).
·         There are 521 people who have “starred” that flang repo and 72 forks.

  1.  Flang Community Technical Call (Hosted by Hal Finkel)

  *   The last call was April 6, 8:30 AM PT.
     *   LLVM transition (finalization of discussions about uploading flang to the GitHub monorepo).
     *   The plan was made to add flang to LLVM by the end of the week, which was completed.

  *   The next call will be April 20, 8:30 AM PT.
     *   Future talk: Using flang in a source-to-source rewriting scheme (Craig Rasmussen and Kate Rasmussen). They have been looking at flang for Fortran source-to-source translation. This is in conjunction with the work to do semantic analysis and support of coarrays.

  *   Future Topics and tentative dates:
     *   Potential topics for future calls include Fortran aliasing, build times for the compiler, status updates on MLIR.
     *   Please feel free to add agenda topics to the Google Doc: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Z2U5UAtJ-Dag5wlMaLaW1KRmNgENNAYynJqLW2j2AZQ/

  1.  Flang community

  *   Website: www.flang-compiler.org<http://www.flang-compiler.org> redirects to http://github.com/flang-compiler/flang.
  *   Wiki: https://github.com/flang-compiler/flang/wiki is the Flang wiki page where the most up-to-date build instructions and news can be found.
  *   Issues:
     *   Bug reports for LLVM flang should be reported in Bugzilla: https://bugs.llvm.org/. Use the “flang” tag for flang-related issues, please.
     *   Bug reports for current Flang can be reported to https://github.com/flang-compiler/flang/issues.

  *   LLVM mailing lists: There are now two mailing lists hosted by llvm.org:
  *   Slack: flang-compiler.slack.com is used for informal real-time communication in the Flang community. Add yourself via the invite <https://join.slack.com/t/flang-compiler/shared_invite/enQtMjExOTEyMzQ3MjIxLTZkMDNlODc2YjgxZDY1NTQ2YWJiZWVhOGU2YWY0NDNiOWY0ZjQzNjYyZTNlZjBlNjgxY2U1ZjFjMmY5NzIwMzA> link.

  1.  What we’re up to with the llvm-project/flang Fortran 2018 compiler

  *   On GitHub: The source code LLVM Flang is available on https://github.com/llvm/llvm-project/tree/master/flang. It’s recommended to start in the “documentation” directory.
  *   Public plan: The team maintains a plan for upcoming Flang work at https://github.com/orgs/flang-compiler/projects/. This reflects current LLVM Flang priorities and context for the project and its long-term goals.
     *   Completed work on migration to the LLVM monorepo. The project area for the work is now marked as complete: https://github.com/orgs/flang-compiler/projects/8. This comprised 92401 lines of C++, 25859 lines of Fortran tests and intrinsic modules, and 11097 lines of documentation and configuration files. (Peter Klausler and Tim Keith are now in the top 100 contributors to LLVM.)
     *   Merged changes for MLIR and FIR; more to come.
     *   Continued work on computing sizes and offsets of derived type components.
     *   Continued work on semantic checking for TYPE (F2018 Clause 7).
     *   Continued design of Fortran run-time, including ALLOCATABLE and CHARACTER APIs, order of FINAL subroutine invocation; beginning implementation.
     *   Continued work on I/O lowering.
     *   Continued work on lowering to FIR for control constructs (multi-way branches, computed GO TO, ASSIGN statements and assigned GO TO, SELECT CASE and integer arithmetic IF).
     *   Continued work on lowering DATA statements and initializers (with SAVE attribute).
     *   Continuing work on Clause 7 (Types) semantic checks.

  1.  What we’re up to with current Flang (no update)

     *   We will be opening up Flang to more committers soon. We are working on the approval process across the wider set of committers.
     *   We have decoupled PGI and Flang development to shorten turnaround on pull requests and other development activity.
     *   Recent fixes pushed to Flang
        *   None

     *   Outstanding pull requests: https://github.com/flang-compiler/flang/pulls for the current list of pull requests.

     *   Outstanding issues: Please refer to the Issues section on GitHub for flang-compiler/flang<https://github.com/flang-compiler/flang/issues> and flang-compiler/flang-driver<https://github.com/flang-compiler/clang/issues>.

  *   OpenMP 4.5 support:
o    No update

  *   Debug Metadata:
     *   LLVM Debug metadata changes posted to LLVM Phabricator for review; responding to review comments. The last remaining pull request can be found at https://reviews.llvm.org/D54114 [CHARACTER intrinsic data type]. Review for this is not complete, and we would like to get additional comments or alternate proposals.

  *   Packaging and Binary Releases:

  *   Binary release: We try to post binary releases quarterly.
  *   Spack: Spack packages for Flang have been reviewed by the Spack team and pulled into Spack for flang_20180921. We are still working through issues with defining the spack package for flang. Brian Homerding and Nichols Romero are working on Spack changes for the LLVM and Flang for the LLVM Git monorepo.

  *   Current Flang Fortran 2008 features
Current status of Fortran 2008 features can be found at https://github.com/flang-compiler/flang/wiki/Fortran-2008.

  1.  Logistics
Flang Community Biweekly Call

     *   General updates on the Flang project, both LLVM Flang and current Flang.
     *   Biweekly WebEx hosted by NVIDIA (which these notes cover).
     *   The meeting link for this biweekly call is https://nvmeet.webex.com/nvmeet/j.php?MTID=mb4edb8c799f69ec2dc0554acc969a162.

Note: If you are having difficulty connecting your audio, try using the “Call Me” option on WebEx to connect audio to your telephone.

Flang Community Technical Biweekly Call

     *   Technical topics call.
     *   Hal Finkel hosts this call on Bluejeans<https://bluejeans.com/625064848>, Mondays 8:30 Pacific Time, on the weeks alternating with regular Flang biweekly call. The notes for all these calls can be found in Google Docs here<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Z2U5UAtJ-Dag5wlMaLaW1KRmNgENNAYynJqLW2j2AZQ/>.
Meeting URL: https://bluejeans.com/625064848?src=join_info
Meeting ID: 625 064 848
Want to dial in from a phone? Dial one of the following numbers:
+1.408.317.9254 (US (San Jose))
+1.866.226.4650 (US Toll Free)
(see all numbers - https://www.bluejeans.com/premium-numbers)
Enter the meeting ID and passcode followed by #
Connecting from a room system?
Dial: bjn.vc or 199.48.152.152 and enter your meeting ID & passcode

Flang Slack Channel

     *   There is a Slack channel dedicated to Flang.
     *   Add yourself via the invitation link https://join.slack.com/t/flang-compiler/shared_invite/enQtMjExOTEyMzQ3MjIxLTZkMDNlODc2YjgxZDY1NTQ2YWJiZWVhOGU2YWY0NDNiOWY0ZjQzNjYyZTNlZjBlNjgxY2U1ZjFjMmY5NzIwMzA