[clangd-dev] Newcomer trying to contribute

Ilya Biryukov via clangd-dev clangd-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Oct 1 07:51:49 PDT 2019

Hi Avishay,

Welcome and thanks for your interest in clangd!

In addition to Nathan's comments, I would also suggest discussing the
approach you want to take before submitting a patch for review.
Especially if the approach can be condensed to a few sentences.

Things usually go faster if reviewers and the author are aligned on the
direction of the patch beforehand.

On Tue, Oct 1, 2019 at 4:37 PM Avishay Matayev via clangd-dev <
clangd-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> Thank you for the guidance Nate!
>
> I'll do my best to contribute ASAP :)
>
> Cheers,
> Avishay.
>
> On Mon, 30 Sep 2019 at 20:58, Nathan Ridge <zeratul976 at hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Avishay,
>>
>> Thanks for your interesting in contributing to clangd! Yes, this mailing
>> list is a fine place to ask questions of this sort.
>>
>> > the feature I miss the most is the macro referencing
>>
>> I would find this useful as well.
>>
>> > I glanced a over the source code and I think I can write the feature
>> and
>> > submit it for review, but I am unsure about the overall procedure.
>> > Where do I submit it to? Who looks over it and who accepts it?
>>
>> The procedures followed for clangd are largely the same as those for the
>> larger LLVM community, which are documented here [1]. One thing that's a
>> bit different is clangd has its own issue tracker on Github [2].
>>
>> Patches are submitted to LLVM's Phabricator instance [3]. In terms of who
>> to ask for review, you can look at who has reviewed other recent changes to
>> the files you're touching. However, you can also submit a patch without
>> explicitly setting reviewers. I think the clangd team monitors and will
>> notice all review requests with "[clangd]" in the commit message.
>>
>> Hope that helps. Feel free to ask more questions if you have them!
>>
>> Regards,
>> Nate
>>
>> [1] http://llvm.org/docs/DeveloperPolicy.html
>> [2] https://github.com/clangd/clangd/issues/