[clangd-dev] RFC: Semantic highlighting

Sam McCall via clangd-dev clangd-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Jan 17 01:05:54 PST 2019

On Wed, Jan 16, 2019 at 7:44 PM Jan Korous <jkorous at apple.com> wrote:

> Our intended use-case is clangd talking to the recently announced
> SourceKit-LSP service:
> https://github.com/apple/sourcekit-lsp
> I haven’t really thought about details yet (including how to approach
> testing) but I assume we’ll have some integration tests in SourceKit-LSP.
> But it makes sense to test (at least manually) with some editor client too.

Understood - I think a lot of the decisions about details will depend on
how this feels in practice in an editor (latency, signal-vs-noise) so I
think we'll need it connected to a real editor to really understand. I
guess there's a prototype of XCode that can use this, but the rest of us
need to find something to try it out on too :-)

No, it’s really the server who’s responsible for ignoring these. I guess it
> makes sense since client can’t just decide to not
> send 'textDocument/didChange’ to server as they would get out of sync.
>
> https://github.com/Microsoft/vscode-languageserver-node/pull/367/files#diff-0253ecfa5ea7304bd5d168e2665e2fd1R54

Ah right - the server is responsible for deciding when to send a syntax
update, and the client is responsible for interpolating in between.
So the server has the responsibility of guessing when the client's
interpolation will do a better job and it shouldn't waste time calculating
and/or sending a new notification.