[clangd-dev] LSP Cancellations - making it universal and measurable?

Ilya Biryukov via clangd-dev clangd-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Sep 12 04:33:40 PDT 2018

It's a good thing we kept from doing intrusive changes to all of the APIs,
prototyping only for code completion. Hopefully the refactoring won't be
too painful.
It's up to you to decide which approach to take at the end. Here's my take
on trying to convince that the current API make sense

I can see the benefits of the proposed API if we were designing
cancellation for distributed web services where everything is an RPC and
there is a clear need to propagate the cancellation information through RPC
call chains, possibly in different processes or even on different machines.
It feels clangd is not like that, it's a standalone tool (or a library)
which at the end that manages its own async tasks. Propagating cancellation
handles does not seem like a big problem there, everything is in a single
process and data-flow is mostly simple.

E.g. if what we want is to move the cancellation handling to
JSONRPCDispatcher, we could easily do it by making the dispatched methods
return the TaskHandles that we need to store.
It's a simple refactoring, spanning only one layer.
I doubt the other use-case that we have (aforementioned internal editor
that embeds clangd) will be much work either, though I may be wrong.

> I think the biggest difference is whether the cancelability of an
operation is represented in its static type (e.g. function return type). Is
this what you mean?
Yep, I meant encoding what we want in the type systems.

> I guess I don't see that as a bad thing?
My preference for encoding in type systems is that I can easily trace the
created task back to whoever performs cancellations.
It feels like this is gonna be slightly trickier in the new approach, since
not only the consumers, but also the producers of cancellable tasks can now
be anywhere up the context call chain.

> Cancellation is a cross-cutting concern that you mostly want to ignore,
except at layers where: a) you can meaningfully abort early to save some
work, or b) you want to start a chunk of work and maybe cancel it later.
Agree that the cancellation *checking* cuts though all the layers and
requiring passing objects through all of the layers is a pain.
Not so sure about the "producers" of tasks. We can't possibly keep
functions that start cancellable work unchanged when adding cancellation.
In both the new proposal and the current implementation, we'll have to:
- Allow the functions that can be cancelled to report they were cancelled
to the callers. I guess both approaches would use the CancelledError for
this.
- Mark the functions that support cancellation somehow. Either with a
comment (the new proposal) or with an explicit return type (the current
implementation).
The cancellation tasks would be allowed to be created further up the call
chain, but that adds some "magic" to the code and makes the clients
responsible for creating the tasks properly and writing all the boilerplate.

> Examples of why this seems right:
> - there's no reason that a cancelable span should be coupled 1:1 with an
LSP method
Totally agree, why do you feel the cancellable span is coupled to an LSP
method in the current API?
> - whether a function will *respond* to cancellation is always a *dynamic*
property. This is a QoI issue, not a contract.
Totally agree.

> - It allows us to support cancellation of all methods without adding a
bunch of bookkeeping to each one (or equivalent in templates)
I don't think bookkeeping is much of a pain, most methods will just return
TaskHandles and at the level where it's appropriate to cancel, where one
will need to store them.
I guess the arguments are about the same as with other things that could
potentially be passed through Context.
I would prefer to use Context as little as possible and in that case I
would prefer explicit data flow, but can see your point if you don't think
that way.
> - it allows embedders to support cancelling methods at the layer it makes
sense without plumbing cancellation objects around
Point taken, I view the fact that we can trace the data flow back to the
cancellation sites as a benefit.
> - it avoids divergences in APIs based on whether we've implemented
early-exit for this operation or not
In the current implementation, the APIs that we believe should be
cancellable should just always indicate they can be cancelled (i.e. create
a new task), even if they won't do early exit in practice.
> - putting values in the return type that are not the result of the
computation surprises the reader
Providing results in a callback also makes the code slightly tricky. Having
cancellation boilerplate does not make the client code any better either.
(At any layer really).
Granted that it's probably easier to just support cancelling everything
somewhere up the call chain with the proposed implementation, but I would
argue it's not much harder in the current approach, the only thing that's
required is plumbing the TaskHandle up to that layer. Does not feel like a
lot of work (but, again, we seem to disagree here).

Overall, if you feel strongly we should prefer the new approach over the
current implementation, happy to submit to your point of view.
I feel it's not much work to support the current implementation in the
callers that we have, but if you don't see the benefit in the current APIs
and strongly feel the new ones are better, let's just do the new ones.

--
Regards,
Ilya Biryukov