[clangd-dev] [llvm-dev] Subprojects, GitHub, and the Monorepo

James Y Knight via clangd-dev clangd-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sat Oct 20 15:16:18 PDT 2018

I think these issues you raise are all basically fixable, without
fragmenting the community.

# Bugtracker

Yes, everyone has a github account -- but I think everyone could also use
bugzilla easily enough, if we add a "Login with github" button. I would
like someone to volunteer to work on getting bugzilla patched with that
functionality. (Someone, please volunteer!)

# Website, and raw HTML vs markdown.

Clangd doesn't have a website now, in the same sense as clang, llvm and
other llvm projects do. It just has a little bit of sphinx documentation
hidden deep within clang's docs. I think this is a large part of the
frustration you raise, but it's not a necessary part of living under the
llvm project umbrella. I think you probably want to make clangd have its
own actual landing page.

As for the authoring format, IMO it's definitely a good idea to start
migrating to using markdown for the website, and migrate to github pages
autogeneration and hosting. (But I think that should be done project-wide,
not one-off.)

# Exposing LLVM community identity

Clangd is part of the LLVM community, and having a community identity can
be a good thing. But, indeed, the projects should also have their own
identities within that.

You've expressed "Users don't want to know that clangd is part of the llvm
community". But I think that's exactly wrong. We _should_ be exposing that
fact and pushing that identity, and I don't think that, by itself, bothers
any uesrs.

However, I think I see a different underlying issue hiding in that stated
concern: finding clangd in the current website is too confusing. Having
clangd be part of the LLVM community -- or part of the LLVM website --
isn't the issue problem. Having clangd not be _easily accessible_ on the
LLVM website is a problem.

It could have higher visibility, even while being "part of the LLVM
project", and represented and structured as such.

# Path forward

Instead of starting up a parallel infrastructure, I'd suggest that the way
forward should be:
1. Keep (and make minor enhancement to) bugzilla. Add a clangd component to
bugzilla.
2. Add a more user-facing, top-level, clangd landing page within the llvm
website, like we have for other projects, to give the project higher
visibility. With links to code, bugtracker (e.g. link directly to the
search/enter-bug urls in the clangd component), as appropriate.
3. Start converting the LLVM website to a github pages site.

Note that github pages allows a mixture of html, markdown, and jekyll site
generator features, and automatically updates upon commits to the
repository. I think a fairly extensive but still relatively simple example
of a bunch of functionality is www.mono-project.org, autogenerated from <
https://github.com/mono/website>.

(I don't think the restructured-text "docs" directories necessarily need be
migrated; for the most part those are somewhat of a different kind of thing
than the "website-proper", and could be left as is, at least for now.)

Website migration to git/github-pages does not need to wait for the entire
svn->git repository migration process to finish! We could pretty easily
decide to make the "www" git repository canonical first, before the code.