[clangd-dev] Completion list spam and macros

Sam McCall via clangd-dev clangd-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Jun 11 06:54:06 PDT 2018

On Mon, Jun 11, 2018 at 3:32 PM Marc-André Laperle <
marc-andre.laperle at ericsson.com> wrote:

> Hi Sam!
> I think completing macros is useful so I would say A would not be good. I
> think B sounds good for the short/medium term.

Agreed on both counts here. I actually landed a patch for B as it seemed
like such a clear win. If it's causing problems for anyone happy to revert.
(One possibility is windows devs: apparently API calls like CreateFile are
macros that point to the A/W string variants)

I’d like to eventually come up with a proposal of what to truncate, because
> I see results that are every unlikely to match the user intention. For
> example, not showing strtod and CLONE_CHILD_SETTID. But I don’t know enough
> about how this is implemented to make a concrete proposal.

I noticed this too, can you try https://reviews.llvm.org/D47950 and see how
it feels? I think this is the right fix for that problem.