[cfe-users] Strange problem with C preprocessor include file searching (Mac, llvm 10)

Larry Gritz via cfe-users cfe-users at lists.llvm.org
Tue Apr 28 14:23:43 PDT 2020

I have some more clues here. I can reproduce this strange behavior with just bash, no python needed.

$ oslc -IincA -IincB blah.osl
adding 'incA'        <-- my debug, shows that the '-IincA' was parsed on the command line
adding 'incB'        <-- my debug, shows that the '-IincB' was parsed on the command line
#include "..." search starts here:
#include <...> search starts here:
 incA                <-- LLVM diagnostics, shows I passed incA in includedirs list
 incB                <-- LLVM diagnostics, shows I passed incB in includedirs list
End of search list.
Compiled blah.osl -> blah.oso

Works fine. Now what if I pass the same commands to 'bash -c':

$ /bin/bash -c "oslc -IincA -IincB blah.osl"
adding 'incA'
adding 'incB'
#include "..." search starts here:
#include <...> search starts here:
 incA
 incB
End of search list.
error: blah.osl:3:10: fatal error: cannot open file 'incA/b.h': No such file or directory
#include "b.h"
         ^
FAILED blah.osl

But this ONLY fails if I'm using llvm 10. If I rebuild my app with llvm at 9 from homebrew instead of llvm (which is llvm 10):

$ /bin/bash -c "oslc -IincA -IincB blah.osl"
adding 'incA'
adding 'incB'
#include "..." search starts here:
#include <...> search starts here:
 incA
 incB
End of search list.
Compiled blah.osl -> blah.oso

Works fine again. I don't have a working theory for what's going on here.

So I know the -I commands are making it to my program, and I know I'm passing those paths to libclang, because its own diagnostics list those directories. But it nonetheless fails to find headers that aren't in the very first included searchpath -- ONLY for llvm 10, ONLY on Mac, ONLY if I'm doing it through a second spawned shell (works fine when I directly type the command).

Any guesses?

--
Larry Gritz
lg at larrygritz.com