[cfe-users] Support for specific Java versions

Ahmet Bilgin via cfe-users cfe-users at lists.llvm.org
Wed Nov 6 08:38:45 PST 2019

Hi,

currently I'm looking for a Java SourceCode formatter which can be integrated into the Eclipse-IDE and also run as standalone application.

The development department of my company needs a fixed source code formatting, as we experienced formatter changes during every Eclipse-IDE update.

We are already using clang-format for our C++ SourceCode base and as clang-format supports also Java, we wanted to evaluate it.

Currently our Java SourceCode is Java8 compliant, but I have some questions regarding clang-format and the supported Java language features:

*         Which Java version does clang-format support currently and is the support for a specific Java version built into the clang-format library/executable or the .clang style?

*         Does clang-format already support language features of Java9+?

*         How does the current clang-format formatter handle SourceCode which contains language features which it does not know about? Let's say for example clang-format supports Java8 but we use Java9 or Java10 with new language features?

o   Does it leave the area of the source code unformatted and continues with the remaining content of the source file or

o   Can't it handle new language features at all and leaves the whole file unformatted?

I hope you can help me with this questions.

Best regards,
Ahmet Bilgin

MAGMA Gie?ereitechnologie Gesellschaft f?r Gie?erei-, Simulations- und Regeltechnik mbH | Kackertstr. 11, 52072 Aachen, Germany | Rechtsform GmbH, Amtsgericht Aachen HRB 3912, UST-ID-Nr. DE121745780 | Gesch?ftsf?hrung: Dr. Marc C. Schneider (Vorsitzender), Dr.-Ing. J?rg C. Sturm

[https://www.magmasoft.de/export/shared/magma_mail.jpg]