[cfe-users] Clang9 UBSan and GMP

Matthew Fernandez via cfe-users cfe-users at lists.llvm.org
Fri Nov 1 18:36:52 PDT 2019

> On Oct 31, 2019, at 14:30, Hans Åberg via cfe-users <cfe-users at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

>>> The GMP developers feel exactly the same, dropping Clang support. It is mostly a problem for MacOS users that do not have access to GCC.
>>
>> Yep, that's certainly their call - there's a cost to maintaining compatibility with each compiler/toolchain/platform, etc.
>
> Yes, it involves hard study of the various CPUs used.
>
>> If you have a personal interest in GMP on MacOS, then perhaps the cost falls to you, if you're willing to pay it, to investigate this sort of thing & help support this particular library+compiler combination, if it's worth your time to do so.
>
> Both GCC and Clang can be conveniently installed using MacPorts. The Apple inhouse clang is weird.

I haven’t followed the rest of this thread closely, but do you have a reference for the GMP developers abandoning Clang on macOS? Or were you referring to their comment about Clang on the page I linked? Personally I regularly use GMP with a macOS-supplied Clang without any issues. Admittedly not for any extreme numerical computation, but my experience is that GMP works fine in this scenario.