[cfe-users] Using or Building Clang

Colin Bruce via cfe-users cfe-users at lists.llvm.org
Thu Jan 10 07:32:31 PST 2019

Dear All,

I need to install Clang because QT requires it for some components. I tried
the prebuilt version but that seems to have hardcoded paths to GCC or Visual
Studio. I guessed this because when I try to compile the short "Hello World"
program it complains that it can't find Visual Studio. I've just downloaded
the sources and something similar happens when I run cmake PATH

Where PATH is the path to the LLVM sources. Several errors are displayed but
they all complain about the same thing.

CMake Error at CMakeLists.txt:50 (project):

 The CMAKE_ASM_COMPILER:

    cl

  is not a full path and was not found in the PATH.

It is stated that cmake will attempt to find the toolset to use but that is
not correct as I have MinGW installed and PATH correctly set up so if I type
gcc -version I get

gcc (x86_64-posix-seh-rev1, Built by MinGW-W64 project) 7.2.0

I get something similar if I type g++ --version but Cmake never found gcc or
g++.

Is it the case that Clang now only compiles with the Visual Studio tool set?
I see in the "GettingStarted.rst" file that it only mentions Visual Studio
in relation to the Windows operating system. I do find that slightly
surprising if that is the case as Clang is claimed to be a "drop in
replacement for GCC". Although it does mention Cygwin there is no mention of
MinGW and if I had Visual Studio why would I bother with Clang?

Is there any way to use the prebuilt version of Clang when tool sets are not
installed in the directories that the Clang developers have chosen? I had
imagined that there might be environment variables that would be allow
different directories to be used but I can't find any mention of these in
the documentation.

I hope someone can suggest some way that the latest version of Clang can be
used on Windows. If not, is there any version of Clang that runs on Windows?

Best wishes..

Colin Bruce