[cfe-users] AST Recursive Visitor- Statements (Stmt *)

Richard Trieu via cfe-users cfe-users at lists.llvm.org
Thu Aug 1 20:14:01 PDT 2019

Adding back the mailing list.  Please reply all to keep the discussion on
the mailing list.

On Thu, Aug 1, 2019 at 2:47 PM Ayush Mittal <bellavistaghome at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Thanks Richard for the explanation. Really appreciate it.
> One quick question, Within VisitStmt (BinaryOperator) how could I get an
> access to DeclRefExpr class.

You should be defining a VisitBinaryOperator(BinaryOperator*) function.
VisitStmt(BinaryOperator) won't be called because the base visitor class
doesn't know about it.

> For example,
> *-IfStmt* 0x88b5698 <line:13:3, line:16:12>
>     | |-<<<NULL>>>
>     | |-<<<NULL>>>
>     | |-BinaryOperator 0x88b54a0 <line:13:7, col:13> 'int' '=='
>     | | |-ImplicitCastExpr 0x88b5420 <col:7> 'int' <LValueToRValue>
>     | | | `-*DeclRefExpr* 0x88b5358 <col:7> 'int' lvalue ParmVar
> 0x88604b0 'argc' 'int'
>
> BinaryOperator has two methods, getLHS() and getRHS() which get the
left-hand side and right-hand side expressions.  Given your BinaryOperator,
getLHS() will return the ImplicitCastExpr.  The Expr class has several
methods to remove nodes in the AST.  Expr::IgnoreImpCasts() is probably
what you want here*.   Then you need to check the final Expr if it is
DeclRefExpr and use that.

BinaryOperator *BO = ...;
Expr *E = BO->getLHS();
E = E->IgnoreImpCasts();
if (DeclRefExpr *DRE = dyn_cast<DeclRefExpr>(E)) {
  // Do your stuff here.
}

or just:

BinaryOperator *BO = ...;
if (DeclRefExpr *DRE =
dyn_cast<DeclRefExpr>(E->getLHS()->IgnoreImpCasts())) {
  // Do your stuff here.
}

* There's several Expr::Ignore* functions that recursively strips aways
different AST nodes from Expr's.  In your examples, IgnoreImpCasts will
strip away the LValue to RValue cast, but if there was something like
integral cast between different int types, that would stripped away too.
If you need more fine-grained control, you'll need to do the AST traversal
yourself.