[cfe-users] clang-format option to not break lines at operator ->

Mikhail Artemyev via cfe-users cfe-users at lists.llvm.org
Sun Jun 25 13:05:28 PDT 2017

Hi Csaba,

I can think of several possible results that look better (to me) than the
current one:

int func() {
   aaaaaaaaaaa = bbbbbbbbbb->cccccccccc(

 SomeNamespace::Function(dddddddd?"eeeeeeee":"ffffffff")).gggggggggg();
}

OR

int func() {
   aaaaaaaaaaa = bbbbbbbbbb->cccccccccc(
         SomeNamespace::Function(
            dddddddd?"eeeeeeee":"ffffffff")
         ).gggggggggg();
}

OR

int func() {
   aaaaaaaaaaa = bbbbbbbbbb->cccccccccc(SomeNamespace::Function(
            dddddddd?"eeeeeeee":"ffffffff")).gggggggggg();
}

In fact, pretty much anything that doesn't break the line at '->' works for
me.

This is not the case with the current clang-format, though. If you run
clang-format (with any predefined style) for either of the aforementioned
codes, it always breaks the line with '->', even if all lines satisfy the
column limit.

Thank you,
Mikhail