[cfe-users] Casting assertion failed

Daniel Kraut via cfe-users cfe-users at lists.llvm.org
Sun Jul 31 03:45:35 PDT 2016

Hello everyone,

I am quite desperate right now finding a bug in my application. I am using
clang API to travel through its AST a do some static analysis - just
Visitor, no changes. I am getting this:

 /usr/lib/llvm-3.8/include/llvm/Support/Casting.h:237: typename
llvm::cast_retty<X, Y*>::ret_type llvm::cast(Y*) [with X = clang::Expr; Y =
clang::Stmt; typename llvm::cast_retty<X, Y*>::ret_type = clang::Expr*]:
Assertion `isa<X>(Val) && "cast<Ty>() argument of incompatible type!"'
failed.
(SIGABRT) (core dumped ...)

Some input is fine, some gets this assertion fail. Does anyone have a hint
what code could raise this assertion fail?

I'm using g++ to compile my app, no special flags just c++11. I have Clang
version 3.8.1 binaries - libclang-dev via Synaptic on my Xubuntu and on my
CentOS I downloaded binaries from web, both gets the same assertion fail.

Thanks everyone who tries to help,
Daniel Kraut