[cfe-users] uniquely identifying names

David Blaikie via cfe-users cfe-users at lists.llvm.org
Fri Aug 26 08:33:20 PDT 2016

There's no structural identity of code in Clang that I know of - I know
someone's building a tool for doing structural similarity for things like
plagiarism detection (I think there are some patches on the clang mailing
list).

But if you only need identity within a single process, the pointer value of
the pointer to any AST construct is a unique identity you can use.

(line/file/column isn't sufficiently unique - you could have a file that is
included under different macro situations and each time it defines a
different function, but all those functions would appear to be defined on
the same line/file of that included file - or a macro that defines multiple
functions - both can be resolved by looking at the more complete location
information (including macro locations, etc))