[cfe-users] Errors when trying to use libcxx/libcxxabi with memory sanitizer

Schlottke-Lakemper, Michael via cfe-users cfe-users at lists.llvm.org
Mon Nov 23 00:59:30 PST 2015

Hi folks,

I'm trying to set up our cluster tool chain to support clang’s memory sanitizer for our multiphysics simulation program, but I can’t get it to work :-/

I started with a regularly compiled clang installation (with libcxx, libcxxabi, and libomp built in-tree). With this, I compiled all necessary third-party libraries with “-O1 -fsanitize=memory” (OpenMPI, FFTW, Parallel netCDF). Then, I compiled the libcxx/libcxxabi libraries with msan-support by checking out the llvm source and the libcxx/libcxxabi repos into the llvm/projects/ directory. I configured them with LLVM_USE_SANITIZER=Memory and put the msan-instrumented libraries in the LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

Finally, I tried to compile our tool, ZFS, with the memory sanitizer enabled and linked against the msan-compiled third-party libraries as well as the msan-instrumented libcxx/libcxxabi libraries (by putting them in the LD_LIBRARY_PATH). However, here I failed: either at configure time or at compile time (after doing some LD_LIBRARY_PATH trickery), clang exits with the following error:

/pds/opt/llvm-20151121-r253770/bin/clang++: symbol lookup error: /pds/opt/libcxx-msan-20151121-r253770/lib/libc++abi.so.1: undefined symbol: __msan_va_arg_overflow_size_tls

Any suggestions as to what I am doing wrong? Should I put the msan-instrumented libcxx in the LD_LIBRARY_PATH after compilation only?

Thanks a lot in advance

Michael

--
Michael Schlottke-Lakemper

Chair of Fluid Mechanics and Institute of Aerodynamics
RWTH Aachen University
Wüllnerstraße 5a
52062 Aachen
Germany